|Francis Domingo||Phase 3 Teacher|
Through the curriculum, we want students to -
- Acquire a sound knowledge and understanding of topics and concepts such as – laws and rules, justice, equality, freedom, rule of law, democracy, media, human rights, diversity and how the world around them works.
- Develop skills and aptitudes such as critical thinking, expressing opinions, participate in community action and prepare them to play a full and active part in society.
- Develop values and dispositions and address misconceptions that students have and facilitate discussions with different opinions and viewpoint.
- Gain a better understanding of social issues in their local area, and be able to demonstrate the impact that their social action has had.
What do we want students to know/be able to do?
- To promote British values and cover various aspects of SMSC throughout the course, as well as promote literacy through developing extended written arguments and examining sources.
- To understand how the world works, and encourage them to engage with current affairs and discussions on various social and political issues.
- Study the ideas of community and diversity, discrimination and cohesion, voting and how the government system works, and how the legal system works.
- To identify and address misconceptions, and make choices around their own participation within our society.