We know lots of parents and carers have questions about home learning and how to support their child at home. This useful guidance addresses lots of those concerns.
- Firstly have a look at these web based activities:
- All from mathisfun.com...with all their games here....
- All other work will be set via MyMaths the maths online learning platform.
- http://www.mymaths.co.uk/- All students should have a log on for this site from their teacher which is a school login and password and an individual log in and password. Letters with details can be resent if needed.
- Do contact us if you do not have internet access.
- Do use your log in so staff can see what you have done and give you feedback.
- Initially, some generic tasks will be set for all students by Mrs Charter, the Head of Faculty.
- Please watch out for any additional or alternative work set by your teachers which will be more specific to your individual learning journey. This will be the same for Entry Level students.
- You can also choose units of your own to do if you wish.
Suggested Websites for Maths
- Log onto Seneca website as per card.
- Plan a talk on something or someone you are interested in or feel strongly about, e.g. your favourite pop star, recycling and why we should do it.
- Read the news, a book or play and write a summary.
- Write a story starting ‘The day I didn’t have to go to school….’
- Reading for pleasure (all students have at least one new book to read).
- Spelling scheme to work through.
- Entry for the VLC Literacy Competition.
- KS3 Literacy Skills Builder booklet for grammar practice if appropriate.
- Online Seneca work.
Suggested Websites for English
- Attempt the following in 30 to 40 minute chunks at home.
- There are five projects set, the aim would be to complete one project a week. Hopefully school will not be closed for long so select a project a week in any order.
- Infra red signals can be blocked by any material? Investigate this question using an infra red remote control for example using your tv or xbox remote. Design an investigation that tests if different materials block the infra red signal.
- Does your pulse rate double after vigorous exercise? Vigorous exercise can be completed by running on the spot, jumping jacks etc. Remember you will need to establish your resting pulse rate. Pulse rate before exercise.
- Does the distance between dominoes change the time taken for X number to fall? You will need dominoes for this investigation.
- Does practise reduce your reaction time? There are lots of online reaction time tests or you could use the dropping the ruler method.
- Genetics survey – Collect genetic information from a sample of 30 individuals. This could be your family, friends, favourite sports teams etc. Select five different characteristics that are genetically inherited. Try to include at least two that are discontinuous –you may need to look this up-. Examples include tongue rolling, eye colour, blood group –this may be hard to find out?
- Set your work out in the following order:
- Title – Use the Question in the numbered list above.
- Independent variable – the variable you are changing. What is this? For infra red this is the type of blocking material.
- Dependent variable – the variable you are measuring. What is this? For infra red this is whether the tv switches on.
- Control variables – all the variables you are keeping the same. For infra red this could be the distance of remote from tv, angle of remote etc
- Risk assessment – how can any risks be managed?
- Method – Write a step by step method explaining how you investigated the question.
- Equipment list – Make a list of your equipment.
- Results – Results should be recorded in a suitable table with Headings and units.
- Displaying your results – Choose a suitable graph or chart to display your results. E.g Line graph, bar chart or pie chart
- Conclusion – Explain what you have found out, any trends in your data and quote figures to support your ideas.
- Evaluation – How can your investigation be improved to make it more accurate, more reliable and how could it be extended.
- If you require anything additional please mention to the member of staff checking in with your family and this can be arranged.
Suggested Websites for Science
- Exploratorium - Tinker around your house These Tinkering Studio projects encourage you to “think with your hands” using items you already have around the house.
- Students will be given a selection of booklets to work from to develop their skills and knowledge in art and design. There are a variety of tasks and activities. Students are encouraged to complete a variety of activities and to keep all of their work.
- Work through the activities on the Art Literacy Key Words and Terms - Pack 1.
- Students will also have access to How to Improve your Drawing booklet on the school website. This booklet is suitable for students of all ages and abilities across the school.
- In addition, if students have access to a PC or Laptop they should use the internet to produce, interesting, eye catching and informative PowerPoints on the following themes;
- Photo collage
- Famous Photographs taken in times of War
- Food Photography
- These presentations should include key facts about the style of work/any famous photographers and students own personal opinions. They should be saved and emailed to their teacher when possible.
Suggested Websites for Art
- Investigate and compare 4 different types of vocational job roles from these industries:
- Motor Vehicle
- Write a detailed report on each trade suggesting pros/ cons of each and justify the choice of your favourite to try for work experience.
- You will need to investigate:
- Career opportunities
Suggested Websites for Motor Vehicle
- Design and plan a 2 course meal based on ingredients you have at home in your fridge/freezer/cupboards.
- Create a word document/PowerPoint or poster, outlining the 2 dishes and the ingredients used with relevant diagrams or key food hygiene you must use in the kitchen. E.g. washing your hands.
- In addition, create an ‘Eatwell Plate’, breaking down all the ingredients used for the two dishes in to all of the categories.
Suggested Websites for Food Technology