For further information on penalty notices and taking holidays in term-time, please see the guidance leaflets from North Somerset Council. These can be found in the useful documents section at the bottom of this page.
The Voyage Learning Campus is committed to providing high quality inclusive learning opportunities for all students. We believe that regular, daily attendance is crucial for students to reach their full potential. Our aim is for all of our students to reach at least 95% attendance or above.
It is a parent/carers responsibility to ensure their child attends school regularly and on time. Some children are reluctant to attend school, or look to their parents to provide them with an excuse. Never give in to pressure to let a child stay off school, it may make things worse.
If you are experiencing problems, talk to our Campus Student and Family Liaison Officer, Kim Lawrence, as soon as possible. Don't wait until the situation escalates. Most problems can be resolved once the Campus is made aware of the situation.
How to Report an Absence
- Parents should telephone the Centre their child attends by 9.30am on the first day of absence
- A reason for the child’s absence should be given
- An expected return date should be discussed
Parents/carers will be contacted by the Centre for a reason for an absence if a student hasn’t arrived by 9.30 am.
Holiday’s in Term-Time
- Following Department of Education guidance, head teachers do not have the authority to grant term time holidays
- Voyage Learning Campus do not authorise holidays taken during term time. Absence for more than 10 sessions (i.e. more than 5 days) can lead to a request for a Penalty Notice. We will inform you by letter if we plan to request a Penalty Notice from the Local Authority
- Links to leaflets from North Somerset Council which contain more information regarding this can be found at the bottom of this page
Persistent Absences and Unauthorised Absences
- If your child is missing school on a regular basis due to illness/medical appointments you may be asked to provide proof of these illnesses in the form of a letter from your doctor, stamped appointment card or letter confirming the date of appointment
- If your child is missing school on a regular basis and the reason is not acceptable, you will be contacted by the Campus Student and Family Liaison Officer to discuss these absences further
It is worth noting that 90% attendance is the equivalent of ½ day absence per week and 80% attendance is the equivalent of missing 6 extra weeks of schooling over a year!
Last Updated: 17/10/2016 1:13pm | Filetype: pdf | Size: 160 KB
Are you considering taking your child on holiday in term time? Read this leaflet from North Somerset Council first.
Last Updated: 17/10/2016 1:13pm | Filetype: pdf | Size: 126 KB
This leaflet is sent to people who receive a Penalty Notice resulting from the non/poor attendance of a pupil at school.